Today is a Day of Action!
The Senate is considering a health care bill as we speak that could be introduced any day and passed by the fourth of July recess. Since the process has not been transparent, we don’t yet know the final bill they are proposing, but what we do know is that Medicaid is at great risk and now is the time to speak out. We need your help to urge them to preserve Medicaid in any bill they consider by joining pediatricians across the nation in two Days of Action on June 15th & June 22nd.
Why Should You be Involved?
- Right now is a critical window to influence the Senate health care proposal.
- Medicaid and CHIP cover children from low-income families and children with special health care needs. It’s a lifeline program for 2.6 million children in Florida.
- In this bill, the State will exercise their increased “flexibility” by choosing one or more of a palette of options to cut expenses, none of which are good options. They can reduce eligibility; eliminate benefits (Early and Periodic Screening Diagnostic and Treatment (EPSDT), which ensure children – especially those with complex health care conditions and special health care needs – get regular check-ups and treatment); or decrease payments to providers and delivery systems leading to reduction in children’s access to care. In addition, the burden of these options may fall disproportionately on children if Florida State leaders choose to preserve funding for seniors and for the disabled in our state. Don’t forget children cannot vote.
- The bill reduces tax credits and eliminates subsidies to help families afford insurance that meets their needs. Therefore, coverage will be less affordable.
How Can You Help?
- Call: Every call counts! There is strength in numbers for Senators to get the message loud and clear that their constituents feel strongly about protecting Medicaid. Use these talking points for a quick call!
- The Washington office phone numbers for our Florida Senators are:
- Senator Bill Nelson – (202) 224-5274
- Senator Marco Rubio – (202) 224-3041
- Share your Story in any way you prefer! That includes writing a blog, an op-ed or using social media. Use these tips and social media hashtags!
- Spread the word! Forward the information to your colleagues. Use this template language to spread the word!
Now is the time to make a difference in children’s lives. We are at a critical juncture and there is a lot at stake for children and providers. I urge you to use your voice to communicate with your elected representatives to protect children’s healthcare.
Madeline M Joseph, MD, FAAP, FACEP
President, Florida Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics